Instagram

Pages

bg

Tuesday, June 10, 2008

TightWad Tuesday


My Tip for today is for Dishwasher Detergent.
With the rising cost of groceries we are always looking for ways to cut back on items we use everyday. I have been making my own laundry detergent for a while and it works great. So next I turned my thoughts to the dishwasher.
I have not come up with nor have I found a recipe for homemade dishwasher detergent, but I have come up with a way to stretch the usage of a box of powder.
What I am using:
  • 2.8 - 3 lb box of dishwasher detergent (I use the Great Value brand from Walmart)
  • 3 cups baking soda
  • 2 cups borax
Combine all together in a large bowl w/ whisk. Make sure all are evenly mixed and put in an airtight container until needed. I put about 1/4 cup in each time I use the dishwasher. The small box mixed this way usually last us about a month and we use the dishwasher regularly at least 2 times a day.
Another tip regarding the dishwasher is to use vinegar in the Jet Dry reservoir. I bought 5 gallons of vinegar for $2.39 at Costco a couple of weeks ago to use for various things. This was less that one application of Jet Dry and it will last for a long long long time!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm assuming this homemade mix works well? Do you have a washer with two cups to fill? If so, do you use 1/8 cup of the detergent in each cup?

I haven't tried to reduce costs with my dishwasher detergent yet, but this looks very promising!

Joy
Happy to be at Home

Lisa said...

Joy,

I can tell no difference in using just dishwasher detergent. I think it works great. Yes I use the 1/8 cup in each holder on the dishwasher. (side note...I am not sure if I should post this here or back at your site so I will comment there too) Have a great week!!

Lisa